Sunday, July 14, 2013

Stressed or Blessed? by Sharon Grimes

As I approach another school year and the responsibilities of homeschooling become more and more real I find myself wondering "What did I get myself into?"

I have officially turned in my resignation notice and there is no turning back.

Now I wonder, how will I avoid getting stressed out at home?

I am reminded of the GHEA Conference speaker Sharon Grimes.  These are her notes as she asks us the question, are you stressed or blessed?



Stressed or Blessed?

How do you avoid being stressed out?

  1. Don't neglect your morning manna.
    • No Bible no breakfast/facebook/TV
  2. Keep the right relationship with your family
    • Your Spouse- have a regular date time together and be creative NOT expensive, have a "weekend to remember" once a year.
    • Your Children- remember that children ARE your MOST important work.
  3. Remember WHY you are homeschooling.
    • Deuteronomy 6:4-7- If we don't teach our children to follow Christ, the world will teach them NOT to.
  4. Choose curriculum that will work for YOU and for EACH child.
    • There is no such thing as the "PERFECT" curriculum.  Pray and ask God to help you
    • Jeremiah 33:3.
    • What are your homeschool goals?  
    • What is your childs learning style?
    • What is your budget?
    • Control your curriculum and don't let it control you!
  5. Schedule your priorities FIRST; Then just say NO!
    • Get the book "Freedom from the Tyranny of the Urgent" by Charles Hummel
    • Every time you say "yes" to something outside the home you are saying "no" to something inside.
  6. Discipline your children.
    • Proverbs 1:7,8
  7. Discipline YOURSELF!  Get Organized!
    • Plan your menus a week in advance
    • Homeschool year round
    • Plan in pencil.
  8. Be Flexible!
    • Don't be so structure and organized that you don't put people first.
    • Only Christ was perfect
  9. Don't let your housework become overwhelming.
    • Train your children to help you
    • "401 Ways to Get Your Kids to Work at Home" by Bonnie Runyan McCullough
  10. Find Support!! Don't isolate yourself.
    • Join the South Cobb Homeschooler :)
    • Check her out at www.facebook.com/HeirRaisingTales
As I typed this up I was reminded that I am blessed to homeschool my children.  They are God's gift to me and I will appreciate it everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment